Recent Posts

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Do Good, Feel Good Phenomenon

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about how impatient, frustrated and basically bitchy I can be. 
Alturism-unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others.
Hardly.
The feeling you get when you do the right thing, or do something just to be kind can boost your mood drastically.
It's not selfless at all, it gives you a great feeling.
Make it a bit selfish. 
Being happy and feeling good is not just handed to you.
I hope that makes sense?

Just recently I was on vacation with my family. 
One afternoon I ran into a convenience store to get a drink. 
Maybe I have $1.35 with me? 
I was in line waiting to check out.
In front of me was a woman struggling with her baby in her arms, credit card in one hand and completely frazzled buying her groceries.
Typical Annie would be SO annoyed.
-I hate children.
-I hate waiting.
-I hate convenience stores?
But for some reason I smiled at the baby, picked up the bottle and toys she kept repeatedly dropping. 
The woman apologized 100 times. 
I simply said, "Don't worry about it!"
This alone made me feel great.
It was my turn to check out.
The man scans my drink and I didn't have enough money.
I put my drink back and headed toward the door.
Turns out the woman heard that I didn't have enough $.
She handed me a dollar and said,
"Thank you." 

Do good for others and good things will come your way.
Little things.
A.

2 comments:

Justin. said...

This post is really inspirational & Really made me tear up <3

Liv + Annie said...

Thanks!

Post a Comment